Thursday 17 July 2014

The End of Chemo

Well I'm now through my chemo treatment (last one was 3 weeks ago), so I'm now at the end of my 3 week cycle too!
So far I feel pretty good. My hair is currently about 1cm in length (if you can call that a length) and resembles chick fluff. My eyebrows and lashes are pretty much very sparse but some little fighters have hung on until the bitter end...unfortunately, there aren't actually enough that mascara can cling too which I've found out many times whereby I've only succeeded in poking myself in the eye with the mascara wand!
Life is slowly getting back to normal but I'm sure that some people think that now I've finished my treatment, I'm ok and back to 'good old Deb'...little do they realise that I'm still extremely tired, especially by an afternoon and am still suffering from the 'chemo brain' and am pretty sure that this will continue for a long time yet.
I will start taking Tamoxifen on Monday and after reading some horrific stories about the various side effects, have decided not to read anymore and to just go with the flow just like I did with the chemo because each and every one of us is different and the side effects we suffer can vary so much from one person to the next.
Amanda and I both had the same chemo regime but she suffered a lot more than I did. In fact I pretty much escaped most of the side effects but unfortunately, Amanda had my share.
Each and every day, I feel stronger and sometimes I look back and can't actually believe that it's me who was diagnosed with cancer. It's a strange feeling now I'm through the 'other side' and it's only now that I can actually reflect on the last six months since my diagnosis and can now say with pride 'I've done it'.
From my own personal point of view, I've tackled each stage head on. I was diagnosed and once I knew I needed a mastectomy, I just wanted to get it over and done with. When I knew I needed chemo, I was the same, I just wanted to get it started and get it finished and now here I am, six months down the line and my body and myself as a person aren't the same as the person from six months ago. One thing that this whole experience has taught me is that we really don't know what's around the corner and that we should appreciate each and every day that we are here.
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment