Wednesday 2 July 2014

Final Chemo Complete

What to expect after the last chemo session?
I left the ward with a strange feeling that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I arrived home and within minutes had my first ' I can't believe I've got through it' tears. I left a very long heart felt message on facebook to thank the so many people who have supported me throughout the last six months.
 My last chemo session was 30.06.14...my diagnosis of Breast Cancer was 30.12.13. 6 months of my life in a kind of blur. You find or I have found that each stage is a process you have to tackle head on...diagnosis, for me, my operation came next, recovery and then the chemo. I don't think I've ever really thought too much about each process in this journey until the process was over and then it was straight into the next stage. Once I was diagnosed, I couldn't wait for my operation, I wanted it over with. Once I knew I would be having chemo, again, I just wanted it all to be over with. Plan your chemo schedule, mark each session on your calendar and once that first one is marked off, you're on your way. On your second, remember, you're a third done. On your third, you're halfway. This type of thinking does help you and really does work!
I keep reading back through my facebook message and part of me still can't believe that it's me I'm referring to. I guess as each day passes by, I will gradually return to 'normal' and start to look towards the future again. Maybe in a few months or even years, I will look back and think of this time in my life as a 'blip' that I went through but came out the other side?
Obviously for now, I have a few months ahead of me that will be a constant reminder..the lack of head hair for a start being the most obvious reminder but since I knew I was going to be having chemo, my thoughts then were 'it's only hair and it will grow back'...If I'm still saying this in 6 months, then I think being tipped upside down into a grow bag may be my next option!!!
Debbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment