Thursday 3 July 2014

How to behave around someone who has cancer

Before I had cancer I'm sure I was guilty of the old 'look away quick' principle whenever I saw someone with a 'cancer scarf' or bald head. Now I'm far more likely to look them straight in the eye and give them a big smile. Every so often when I was out and about (after the chemo had finished), someone would just give me a look. It's indescribable but just lovely, compassionate and open. I would just feel so much better afterwards. I also preferred it when people were just honest with me. Kids are refreshingly honest - laughing and screaming as you take off your hat and reveal your bald head. Some people have just asked me outright if I had cancer and talked to me openly about it. It's easy to forget that the person behind the cancer is still exactly the same (if a little more weary). They can still laugh, chat to you in a supermarket queue and flex their chemo-addled brains that are still whirring away under that multi-coloured scarf. So if you see someone who clearly has cancer, don't shy away from them, engage with them as you would normally. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Amanda 



No comments:

Post a Comment