Thursday 3 July 2014

Going back to work after cancer

Now this really is a tricky one, and completely down to the individual. At diagnosis I thought I would be one of those people who powered through cancer treatment, donning my wig, delivering a presentation with a standing ovation and then taking a brief break for chemo. Hmmm...how wrong I was. I suffered horribly with side effects, particularly at first, and some days, found even moving from the sofa a superhuman challenge. After I got the chemo side effects more under control, I would rest during week one after chemo, and work from home during weeks two and three. I actually enjoyed the mental stimulation, but found it much easier (and safer, due to the low blood count) working at home in my PJs. One week after radiotherapy I've started back, working at home in the mornings, and going into the office in the afternoons. This is working well as I feel exhausted when I wake up, and it means I can get up later and be at my laptop by nine without battling with the rush hour traffic. I would suggest that you really take your time, and decide what's going to be best for you. Listen to your body and don't do too much. Talk to your colleagues and see if you can arrive at a compromise that will work for you and your employers. I'm going to be working part-time for the foreseeable future as I'm keen to ensure that I get a better balance in my life. There's nothing like cancer for getting your priorities in order!

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment