Friday 4 July 2014

Cancer, chemo and the weird concept of time

I am nearly two months past the end of chemo and now I've had time to think back, I realise that the concept of time became very fluid during my treatment. I spoke to friend who had just finished chemo when I was about to start mine and she told me that time stood still during the treatment, but afterwards it felt like it had flown by. At the time I was SO envious that she had finished, but also daunted by what seemed like a horrendously long time to wait until the end (six months). After my first chemo I thought that every minute was like an hour, and at some points in the treatment I thought the wait for it to end was interminable. However, things seemed to speed up a little after the fourth chemo and after it's over, time flies by. I've never been a particularly patient person, so it's challenging mentally to know that you're not going to feel well for a long period of time, but my advice would be to stick with it. Aim for as many nice distractions as possible to help time pass - read a lot, walk around the park, watch a box set, write a blog! But be mindful that it will end and when it does you will forget very quickly about the darker moments and get back to your 'new normal' relatively quickly. Then before you know it, you'll look back at your diary and hardly believe it was you that experienced all that!

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment