Saturday 11 July 2015

Treatment zenith

Yesterday was horrible. I reached my zenith of the treatment and could barely move all day. I reflected that since April, I have had a whopping cancerous tumour grow to 4cm in diameter in my brain; had my head sliced open; then sewn back up again; had forty staples inserted and then removed one by one. I've had three MRI scans to the body and the brain. I've then been pumped full of steroids so that my face and body are fit to bursting and then strapped to a bed every day, blasted with high powered radio waves for two weeks. It's been quite the ride.

I literally cannot wait to regain everything that cancer has taken from me...my confidence, my figure, my social life, my sense of humour, my face and my future amongst many other things. Each will take time to slowly build back up, but it will come.

It made me realise that for many people, this intensity of treatment could be too much, particularly those who are older and more vulnerable than me. If you know someone who is facing this challenge, I would suggest giving them as much emotional support as you can, so that that they feel strong enough to make it through. Ask them what they need, and don't expect too much from them, and be there for them as they come out the other side.

Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment