Thursday 9 July 2015

Over halfway

Day 9 out of 15 and today I have the fitting for the super dose of radiotherapy next week. This involves a very specific mask that helps to target the radiotherapy directly to the area where the tumour *was*. Then they basically just blast it with super rays so that anything hiding can be well and truly nuked. Bring it on.

Yesterday I saw one of the oncology nurses and she explained to me that it would take up to eight weeks for the side effects of radiotherapy to subside as it is such a powerful treatment for the body to endure. She also explained that what is happening to my face and body is called Cushingoid appearance or 'Moon Face' due to excess hormones from the steroids. But it will pass in the weeks after treatment.

I was pretty shocked, assuming that I would leap like a salmon from my last treatment back into recovery. One of the things I am going to have to do is learn a little patience. It's tough for me to do nothing but walk, read and rest, but my body well and truly needs it to rebuild, so that is what I will do.

Amanda


I will do my best

No comments:

Post a Comment