Monday 16 June 2014

The chemo do's and don't list

When I knew that I was going to be having chemotherapy, the first thing I did was consult my friend Mr Google to research diets and/or the best ways of surviving chemo and it's glorious side effects. When I say diets, I mean diets as in the best foods to eat that would give me the best chance of getting through chemo without an infection and hindering my recovery. I found the following simple advice very useful and with only one cycle of chemo to go, I've pretty much 'sailed' through it with minimal side effects. Most of the advice that I researched was actually a case of using your common sense and being careful.
  1. Sleep as and when you need to.
  2. Take short walks, even the shortest walk can make you feel that bit better.
  3. Stay out of crowds (I have not yet been inside any supermarket since treatment started-online shopping is a must).
  4. Do not let anyone visit if they have even think they have any sign of an illness.
  5. Constantly wash your hands.
  6. Don't touch your face.
  7. Eat healthily and drink plenty.
I stocked up on items that I deemed necessary and so far, I haven't actually had the need to use most of them but I know that I had them if I needed them to counteract the side effects of chemo.
  1. A thermometer-this is something that you will definitely need because you have to take your temperature on a daily basis.
  2. Immodium (diarrhoea).
  3. Senokot (constipation).
  4. Rennie (indigestion)
  5. Gaviscon (heartburn).
  6. Antibacterial wipes. Buy the miniature packets and keep them in handbags too.
  7. Antiseptic wipes.
  8. Crystallised ginger or packets of ginger biscuits (nausea).
  9. Countless antibacterial sprays and surface wipes for around the home.
I also made and froze countless healthy meals prior to starting chemo. I would recommend investing in a Slimming World recipe book, they're low fat meals which are ideal during chemo as you won't be burning any energy.On the days where I really felt unwell or had no energy, I knew that I could take something out of the freezer for the following day and that I'd be eating something healthy. I found that making soups full of vegetables were one of the best things to freeze and I've felt better in the knowledge that even when I haven't felt like cooking, at least I've had a daily quota of vegetables.

I had a checklist of foods that I have tried to eat on a daily basis..
All bran cereal to provide fibre.
Pro-biotic yoghurts to aid digestion.
A few almonds daily for energy.
Whole grain toast and peanut butter, again for energy.
Vegetables/meat combo for dinner.

You will have days where you may not even want to eat but I forced myself to eat three meals a day, even if it felt like I was chewing on cardboard. The smallest of meals is better than not eating at all. Debbie.


No comments:

Post a Comment