Wednesday 11 June 2014

On Docetaxel paint your nails purple!

One of the side effects of Docetaxel is that it can make your nails discoloured or even fall off. However, they give you these hideous ice packs at the hospital that you can wear on your feet and hands during treatment to minimise the damage to your nails. Not to be a wuss but I hated these! I managed to wear the mittens for two of my three sessions, but the ice 'socks' were unbearable. I read on a breast cancer site that if you paint your nails purple, it protects them from the light and stops them from being affected. I did this, and never removed the varnish, just kept painting over it, and my nails were absolutely fine. Amanda.

I totally agree, the ice packs were unbearable. Minus 9 degree packs that have to be swapped every twenty minutes. I lasted for one twenty minute session and almost begged for them to be taken off. The risk of losing the odd nail more than outweighed the sub zero frostbite in my fingers and feet!!! I have also had 'gelish' dark nail polish applied throughout my Docetaxel regime and so far so good. I have now finished chemo and my nails are still looking good.  Debbie.



No comments:

Post a Comment