Monday 16 June 2014

Mastectomy and Reconstruction

I was originally diagnosed with one small lesion, 6mm Grade 1 and was booked in to have a lumpectomy. I needed an MRI scan to rule out further lesions as my mammogram was unclear as I also had lots of breast cysts. This showed up two further areas which after biopsies, confirmed I had two more cancerous lesions and I was told that I needed a mastectomy and would have an immediate reconstruction. My immediate reaction was 'get it off' once I knew I had the three separate lesions. I actually could not wait for my operation.
I had a fairly new technique, called a Strattice Reconstruction. My operation went well (4hrs) and I remember waking up and feeling like I had a house brick strapped to my chest!! I was also hooked up to two drains, one draining the implant and the other draining my armpit due to having lymph nodes removed. I won't lie, it wasn't very comfortable at all and I had many tears because of the pain but this was compensated by the fact that I knew that the breast had been removed and the cancerous growths with it. I was in hospital for four days and came home with the two drains. One was removed three days later and the second one, a week after that. Once both drains were out, I felt different again, partly because I could have a 'proper' bath. The pain did get easier every day until eventually by week 3, I hardly had any pain and didn't feel the need for pain relief.
My results showed that I had three lesions, the original one, 6mm Grade 1, a 5mm Grade 2 and a 2.5mm Grade 2. All three were tiny but in three separate areas which possibly meant that my breast was prone to cancer and I know that the mastectomy was the best treatment for me.
You will be given exercises to do the day after a mastectomy. Do make sure you do the exercises that the physio give you, they really are essential.
The really positive news is, a few weeks on from my mastectomy and reconstruction, my new breast was much softer and I had no pain whatsoever from it.
Just be warned that you may feel like an exhibit when you have follow up hospital appointments...I'm sure that my breast surgeon treated my breast like it was his work of art that he needed everyone to see!!
I am now six months post mastectomy/reconstruction and unless I tell people, they can't tell the difference with my boobs! Debbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment