Wednesday 11 June 2014

Don't make any promises

When I was diagnosed with cancer I imagined myself handling it like a super-woman. I expected to be working full-time and looking glamorous and courageous all the way through. Two weeks after my first chemo and I could barely move from the sofa, never mind put lipstick on. So my top tip would be, don't make any promises to yourself or others. Just listen to your body. I've always been pretty terrible at that, so it's been quite the learning curve, but it's very important. If you feel like you can work, then do what you can (I started after the second chemo and really enjoyed it, but didn't go into the office due to a risk of infection, and I rarely worked in the first week after chemo). If you feel like resting all day, then do it! It's so important to nurture yourself and do what you can on any given day. Everyone is different. Don't put yourself under any pressure. Your health is the most important thing, not what others think. And, once you're better, it'll be like you were never away, so take time out and really look after yourself. Lesson over.



Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment