Sunday 14 June 2015

Recovering from brain surgery

As Dean has documented, there are some learnings that need to be made after brain surgery. Learning to write and how to put on underwear were the two most frightening. However, I am making a really good recovery. I feel like a 90 year old woman has done a body swap with me, and sometimes I just have to sleep like the dead, but I'm pretty much in good shape considering I had my head opened only a couple of weeks ago. So here are my tips for recovering from brain surgery:


  • If you need to sleep, then sleep, you don't need to prove anything to anyone, just listen to your body
  • Keep up your fitness levels - I have been walking every day, sometimes for a couple of blocks, other times for several miles; I really believe that physical fitness will aid my recovery
  • Test yourself each day - try reading, writing, walking, remembering, using the remote control - you'll find it comes back quickly
  • Eat well; I have been eating a mountain of fruit every morning and lots of delicious, healthy food (plus lots of delicious, unhealthy food, because, hey, why not? I've just had cancer for the second time in eighteen months, that has to be a free pass)
  • Really relax: pass on any responsibilities to others and concentrate on getting well
  • Don't focus on the future, just concentrate on each day and doing what feels right
  • Read good books, rest and build up slowly 

Amanda



1 comment: