Wednesday 17 June 2015

It's only hair

So yesterday I had my mask fitted for radiotherapy. It's a space-age type monstrosity that covers your entire face and has the texture of rubber. It has little markers throughout that help the radiotherapists to aim the rays in exactly the same place each time. The treatment takes place over three weeks and culminates in some super doses to the area where the tumour was (it's great that this is in the past tense now). There are a selection of side effects as detailed in an earlier blog, but the one side effect that there was differing views on is the impact on my hair. The oncologist said that it would all definitely go but would definitely come back at some point. The radiologist said it may thin, would more than likely go completely and may not come back and the person doing the scan said that I would definitely lose it all but I would definitely get it back and that I could get a National Health wig (joy of joys). So whilst the regrowth of this hideous untameable mop has been frustrating, and I will end up going through the whole tiresome process again, my advice is to just accept and go with it. There are many, many people who would be thrilled to have such a small problem as regrowing their hair. And who knows...maybe as my Mum insists, I will finally be ginger.

Amanda


1 comment: