Tuesday 13 September 2016

Moving Forward

The last few weeks have seen me attending appointments at the hospital with my oncologist and also with the surgeon/consultant who carried out my operation, (mastectomy and strattice reconstruction January 2014). Both of these appointments are my follow up reviews since completing the grueling treatment that is chemotherapy.

My first review was with my oncologist. If you haven't yet had a follow up review, there really is no need to feel anxious. If you are treated as well as I was then you can be assured that you'll have a thorough examination. I had a breast, neck and armpit examination carried out in the presence of a breast care nurse, asked many questions about my general health and then told that he doesn't want to see me for 12 months.

Yesterday, I had a follow up review with the consultant who carried out my operation. Following on from the original operation, last September I had my other breast uplifted and a nipple reconstruction on the 'new' implanted breast. In May of this year, I finally had the last part of my treatment to what has been a lengthy and drawn out process. I had the nipple/areola tattooing and this was carried out by one of the breast care nurses who are trained in tattooing procedures. The time that has passed since my operation on January 28th 2014 until the final part of the journey on May 19th 2016 was almost two years and four months.

Again, I had a second thorough examination carried out by the consultant. In fact it was exactly the same as carried out by the oncologist. He told me that my 'new' breast was looking excellent but then he would do, he was admiring his own handy work!

He also doesn't want to see me for 12 months. This is encouraging news for me. Understandably, it doesn't mean that I can now live carefree, the worry of cancer returning is still there but just like I would advise anybody else, I will remain vigilant and if I ever have any concerns or worries, then I will go and get myself checked out immediately.

The only thing left for me now is I have to make an appointment at the Imaging Department. This is to have photographs taken of my breasts. I also had pictures taken after my original operation and also after my uplift last year. These photographs are then used to show as an example of 'before' and 'after' to women who are recently diagnosed and about to embark on their breast cancer journey but also expecting to have the same procedures that I did.

Like many women post breast cancer, I am now two years down the line with the hormone drug Tamoxifen. I was dreading taking this drug because I have read that for some women, the side effects are horrendous. The first few months, I had noticeably aching knees to the point that I went to see my doctor who advised me to take Ibuprofen. This aching lasted several months but then subsided to the point that I've not had it since. After reading through threads on the breast cancer forum, the aching joints are a common side effect. Another common side effect is general tiredness and the inability to have a decent nights sleep. I can't decide if the general tiredness is due to the lack of sleep or from the actual medication.

The real bane of my life is the tedious and debilitating hot sweats that I endure several times a day that seem even worse at night. These could also be the reason for my constant lack of sleep and unfortunately, I am unable to take any herbal remedy such as Evening Primrose oil or Sage as they mimic oestrogen and the nature of the breast cancer I had, meant that it thrived on oestrogen.
It can be rather embarrassing (for me) when I'm talking to somebody and I start to get that first flush of what feels like somebody is pouring a kettle of hot water over my head. It certainly isn't a nice feeling to be sweating profusely to the point that sweat pours off my forehead. Luckily for me, most of my friends and family are more than aware of these 'moments' and pass me a tissue!
The 'new me' is now the 'cardigan on, cardigan off' type of person. Every single day!
During and after chemo, I had the 'chemo brain', which most patients endure/suffer. I have since researched Tamoxifen and am more than aware that the side effects are very similar so it is now affectionately called  'Tamoxifog'!

I have always been under the impression that my brain hasn't yet recovered from the chemo as this can actually take years to be completely out of your system and to my joy, I've discovered that Tamoxifen also causes brain fog!

Always one to make the most out of a bad situation, this does sometimes work to my advantage (for instance, when I know I've forgotten to do something).

It is also extremely frustrating. I really struggle to remember if or when I have told somebody something. For instance, I can start telling somebody something and after 5 minutes, I get told that I've already told them. Twice! Or I will start saying something and then can't remember if I've told them so then I say 'have I told you this already?' To any friends or family reading this, does this sound familiar? It is real. Bear with me.

Side effects aside, I am more than aware of the benefits of taking Tamoxifen and for this reason, I'll persevere with them because I'm not too fond of the alternative.

So for now, I have no hospital appointments to attend for the next 12 months and I shall be making the most of weekends, spending precious time with family and friends and deciding on where to travel next.

Debbie

3 comments:

  1. The past 4 years of my life has been years of torment right from when i was diagnosed with breast cancer (triple negative) stage IV. It was hard for me because i never in my life imagined i would have anything related to cancer. The first two years my oncologist gave me so much hope that i had to undergo chemo and radiation therapy twice and the lymph nodes were still there. It kept reoccurring and i was about to lose it all. I lost weight and i had high blood pressure due to steady thinking. I got the contact of Dr. Roland whom i was told treats cancer naturally with herbal medicine, i never believed but i was dying and to satisfy my curiosity i had to invite him over and he came with his medicine and began to treat me for a month. In three months time i didn't feel any symptoms and i decided to confirm and i went to my oncologist for a test and i tested negative to cancer. I never believed in herbal methods or treatments but now i do because it saved me. You too can contact him for more info on any form of cancer and also about his medicine and treatment process on (dr.rolandoscar@gmail.com) do not die in ignorance and never give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet that's good to hear. I too have/had triple negative breast cancer and there are positive stories to encourage others all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete