Wednesday 24 July 2019

A blog post from my Dad

Well, it’s been quite some time since I’ve posted a blog on here as well!   As Amanda said on her latest blog, things appear to be rather quiet on the cancer front.  However, as Amanda’s father I have the constant worry about her health, every ache or pain she endures worries me intensely, and I guess that life will never be the same again.  I usually accompany Amanda to her hospital appointments, and have got to know her oncologist and brain surgeon very well, they are remarkably talented people and I feel very privileged that God has put Amanda in these extremely capable hands.

I clearly remember the day that Amanda told me and her Mum about the lump in her breast, and the feeling of complete devastation.  Losing Amanda’s sister to meningitis was life changing, and the thought of losing another child was just too much to take in. 

However, following this initial breast tumour operation and two brain cancer operations, Amanda is still with us.  Sadly, Amanda’s Mum died three years ago and didn’t witness Amanda’s miraculous recovery.  I strongly suspect that had Amanda’s Mum seen the incredible healing, she would have found the strength and determination to carry on living. 

I will be taking Amanda for her CT scan on Friday, praying with all my heart and soul that it will be clear.  Amanda is here by the Grace of God (that phrase reminds me of a Gospel Hymn that I know extremely well) and has had incredible support from Dean, her family and friends and the Cancer team at The Royal Stoke Hospital.

My philosophy is to take ‘One step at a time sweet Jesus’ (another song – Lena Martell) and to watch Amanda very soon feel the grass beneath her feet that she referred to in her blog – that would be absolutely wonderful! The cancer ‘journey’ (a very overused phrase) is torturous, and so many fall by the wayside, and it hurts me so much to see so many young people suffering from this dreadful illness.  I will continue to pray every night for the full recovery of these people and for strength for their families to support them….

Amanda’s Dad….





No comments:

Post a Comment