Monday 25 January 2016

Ode to the big ‘C’

“It’s back” he said, and my heart sank;
Without the slightest warning 
The big ‘C’ had come back for me
Just when new life was dawning

The hair was tough and once again
The hamster cheeks appeared
At least I should be grateful that 
I didn’t grow a beard

It started with confusion 
And a modicum of fear 
An egg-sized tumour grew at speed
As did my growing fear

The radio waves were pretty grim
The side effects horrific
I lost myself for quite a while
Whilst the cancer became prolific

So in eight months my life has changed
Beyond all recognition
But even after all this pain
I still retain ambition

I dream of sun and ochre skies
Of the lapping of the sea
Then I recall that despite all this
I’m actually still me

I still have faith and still have hope
My mind is just as free
Surrounded by love and friendship
Where would I rather be?

So I won’t be sad or lonely
In this life or the next
In fact I’m hugely lucky
My life has been the best
   
It’s been chock-full of laughter
Of blessings and of love
And for this I am grateful
To the Lord above

So when I’m gone, remember me
As someone full of joy;
Of happiness and gratitude
For all that I enjoyed

Thank you for being a precious part of it.

Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment