Friday 15 January 2016

Cancer language

Friday 15th January 2016

After reading the tributes to those celebrities who have recently died of cancer, I am beginning to feel that the language we use for such a complex subject is woefully inadequate. Everyone's experience of suffering from cancer (and this includes the family and friends of those who are going through it as well as the patient themselves) is completely different and yet there seems to be a universal and very tired language that we all use to describe it.

As I've blogged before, I don't like reading about someone 'losing their brave fight' when they have no choice over their fate or their outcomes. In fact, 'battling cancer' requires the opposite of a fight. In many cases it's far better to concentrate on your emotional, spiritual and mental well-being rather than taking up arms fruitlessly. 

So, what I'm suggesting is that that we try to shake up the language of cancer a little to add some greater depth to important discussions. Let's find a different and more meaningful way of describing the experience of cancer and everything associated with it: the pain, the sadness, the loss of identity, fear and of course, hope. Let's describe those who are living with, or have sadly died of cancer as the individuals they are using language that shows what a unique contribution they have made to the world and people around them.   

Amanda




Emily McDowell





2 comments:

  1. Dear Amanda,
    I just read your story in a month old edition of New Magazine and just wanted to say that your story has really moved me. You're so brave, I hope you continue to face the coming weeks and months with as much calm as you seemed to have in the article. I admire you greatly. I hope Dean finds acceptance too. I am Dean, in my own story, it's a very mixed bag, being the one left behind.
    Best of luck, Amanda, I wish you all the best. With love from a stranger who feels close anyway.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Clare. I hope that your partner has as little suffering as possible. I am conscious of how difficult it is for everyone in this situation and my heart goes out to all.

    ReplyDelete