Saturday 11 June 2016

Rant alert

I read with interest this week, the coverage of Noel Edmonds talking about cancer and negative energy (read more here >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36470979). Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I was saddened to hear his views. What upsets me is the implication that I am in some way responsible for my cancer. I have been tee-total and smoke-free all my life, been pescetarian for the last ten years and always been fit and healthy, exercising regularly. I've also been a person with a great deal of positive energy and a strong faith. So I find it very difficult when people attempt to attribute my illness to "lifestyle factors" or attitude.

The fact is, that only half of us will survive cancer for ten years or more. It's ridiculous to hypothesise that only those with a positive attitude will make it. Early diagnosis, aggressive treatment and sheer good luck are the real influencing factors in determining which half of us will make the cut. There was nothing I could do to avoid having terminal cancer at 42. All I can do now is be grateful for every laugh, every prayer, every moment with a friend. I may not make it to the ten year mark but I sincerely hope to be lucky enough to enjoy what time I have left.

Amanda

1 comment: