Thursday 12 May 2016

An unusual birthday

This week I celebrated my birthday. Now, my usual 'modus operandi' is to engage in as many social occasions as possible and extend my birthday for as long as it is seemly/practical to do so. I love everything about the day* from the birthday cards and presents through to the Facebook greetings.

*week and a half if I can get away with it

This birthday was, as you would expect, a little unusual. I was away for a start. This gave me the sensation of doing things differently to usual; the weather was lovely and we enjoyed a couple of nights away. There was little time for reflection and lots of time for hotel breakfasts, seaside walks and lots of laughs.

But there was also the awareness that this, according to expert medical opinion, would be my last birthday. It's hard to imagine this as generally I feel pretty well (apart from an irritating cold over the last few days). I'm still suffering from forgetfulness, seizures (although these are under control with medication), mental impairment and my confidence in a Samson-stylee seems to have been lost with my hair. *HAIR UPDATE* Quite frankly it looks hideous. It's an inch and a half long, you can see my scalp through it and it curls up into mousey brown frizz if I am in contact with any type of moisture. Plus my cheeks are in overdrive to compensate.

However, I genuinely feel like I'm going to make it to my next birthday. If I don't then that's OK. I've been blessed beyond belief. But many of my fellow cancer chums are still in the game, so as long as I keep opening my eyes each morning, then that's got to be a good thing.

Amanda


Embrace the wrinkles, others would be delighted to have them






1 comment: