Tuesday 14 October 2014

First post-cancer haircut

The big day finally arrived on Saturday! I had my first post-cancer haircut. Now I have what has been described by lots of lovely people as a 'pixie cut' or a 'legitimate haircut'. So now, no-one looks at me with that combination of curiosity and pity, and I could quite easily be perceived as having chosen a dramatic cut as part of a mid-life crisis (or maybe to change my appearance to avoid the paparazzi/police). I can't lie by telling you I like it, but it's bearable. Coupled with eyelash extensions (done by a local beautician), I look kind of..OK...maybe even nice! So I have a plan now. I am going to grow it out on top but keep the sides short and then ultimately go for a bob. My hairdresser is looking into how long it needs to be before I can have extensions, and I decided to keep the colour as it is for now (a dark mousy colour), so watch this space. My advice though would be to get it cut as soon as it is about an inch long. Whilst it feels counter-intuitive to cut the hair you have been waiting desperately to grow, a decent haircut makes a huge difference. Just shaping the sides makes you look and feel a whole lot better.

Amanda
The plan - I reckon I'm four months from number one
I am now 5 months post chemo and have what I can only describe as a pixie cut as Amanda has described already. My hair is growing back dark. And curly. And it grows upbank!
I aren't sure if it's a compliment or not but I've been told that I'm the spitting image of both of my brothers. Thanks for that friends!! Strangely, they're losing their hair whereas mine is now growing thicker and stronger!
However, I will add that I really aren't bothered what colour, texture or direction my hair grows back, at least it's growing back.
For me, when I see Amanda, I always LOVE her hair. She is 6 weeks ahead of me in the hair process so at least it gives me an insight in to how my hair will be very soon.

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment