Wednesday 5 February 2020

Today is a very sad day

When I started chemo (24th January 2014) I was apprehensive. My Dad, my husband Dean and I rocked up to Royal Stoke and we had no idea what to expect. The chemo ward was unexpectedly pleasant. Everyone had a comfortable chair and most had a friend or family member with them. The room was light and airy and all the seats faced inwards so it was a convivial atmosphere, despite the fact that we were all there for life-saving toxic treatments to be pumped into our veins.

This was the first time I met Kate. She was a chemo veteran, she knew everyone and became a regular friendly face at my sessions. We chatted about her cancer, her sadness at not being able to be a carer at the hospital any more and her love for her horses. Somehow, she made the enormity of what all of us with cancer were facing a little more normal.

After a few more sessions, we began to discuss 'bucket lists'. I must confess that I only found out last week that a 'bucket list' was a list of things to do before you 'kick the bucket'! I could blame the brain surgery, but I hadn't had it by then, so I have to blame my ignorance instead. Kate told me that her dream was to swim with dolphins, ride a Harley Davidson and fly in a helicopter. My less ambitious (and significantly shorter) 'bucket list' was just about spending time with friends and family until the inevitable happened.

So, as time passed, Kate continued to have the most horrendous cancer experience. It seemed like every time I saw her, she had been hit with more bad news...multiple brain tumours, cancer in her liver, bowel and spine, fewer years to live, more arduous treatments and both her parents being diagnosed with serious illnesses. But, Kate being Kate, she rolled with the punches, persevered with the side effects, faced the pain and drew on her sheer will and strength to keep on going. With great sadness, we learned that Kate was dying, and today, many of us who were inspired by her resilience and indefatigable strength of character will be mourning her loss at her funeral.

But as for the bucket list...see below...


RIP Kate, you were an inspiration to us all.



No comments:

Post a Comment